ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL SUSTAINABILITY POLICY BALI TOURISM DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
This policy has been developed and approved by the President Director and the Environment Committee of Bali Tourism Development Corporation (BTDC) Nusa Dua. The policy shall be reviewed annually and updated where necessary to allow for additions and any amendments as deemed necessary to keep the document up to date in accordance with any changes in legislation, hotel policy and Green Globe 21 policy.
BTDC will follow the processes listed below to ensure that the remains of the reading forces in responsible Environmental Practice in the tourist resorts area of Bali and continues to be leading example to other tourist resorts.
1. Conserve the natural environment, ecosystems and biodiversity
- Contribute to the conservation of any habitat of flora and fauna, affected by tourism
- Encourage relevant authorities to identify areas worthy of conservation and to determine the level of development, if any, which would be compatible in or adjacent to those areas
- Include enhancement and corrective actions at tourism sites to conserve wildlife and natural ecosystems.
2. Respect and support local traditions, cultures and communities
- Ensure that community attitudes, local customs and cultural values, and the role of women and children, are understood in the planning and implementation of all tourism related projects
- Provide opportunities for the wider community to take part in discussions on tourism planning issues where these affect the tourism industry and the community
- Encourage relevant authorities to identify cultural heritage worthy of conservation and to determine the level of development if any which would be compatible in or adjacent to those areas
- Contribute to the identity and pride of local communities through providing quality tourism products and services sensitive to those communities.
3. Maintain environmental management systems
- Ensure that environmental assessment is an integral step in planning for a tourism project
- Encourage regular environmental audits of practices throughout the tourism industry and to promote desirable changes to those practices
- Establish detailed environmental policies and indicators, and/or guidelines for the various sectors of the tourism industry
- Incorporate environmentally sensitive design and construction solutions in any building or landscaping for tourism purposes.
4. Conserve and reduce energy, waste and pollutants
- Foster environmentally responsible practices for:
- reducing pollutants and greenhouse gases,
- conserving water and protecting water quality,
- managing efficiently waste and energy,
- controlling noise levels and
- promoting the use of recyclable and biodegradable materials.
5. Encourage a tourism commitment to environments and cultures
- Encourage those involved in tourism to comply with local, regional and national planning policies and to participate in the planning process
- Foster, in both management and staff of all tourism projects and activities, an awareness of environmental and cultural values
- Encourage all those who provide services to tourism enterprises to participate through environmentally and socially responsible actions
- Support environmental and cultural awareness through tourism marketing.
6. Educate and inform others about local environments and cultures
- Support the inclusion of environmental and cultural values in tourism education, training and planning
- Enhance the appreciation and understanding by tourists of natural environments and cultural sensitivities through the provision of accurate information and appropriate interpretation
- Encourage, and support research on the environmental and cultural impacts of tourism.
7. Cooperate with others to sustain environments and cultures?Cooperate with other individuals and organizations to advance environmental improvements and sustainable development practices, including establishing indicators and monitoring?Comply with all international conventions and national, state and local laws, which safeguard natural environments and cultural sensitivities.
8. Recognize and commit to comply the WTO Global Code of Ethics and The APEC PATA Code for Sustainable Tourism.??9. Follow the Tri Hita Karana concept in any of its operational management systems.
10. Make appropriate year-on-year improvements in relevant Green Globe sustainability performance indicators.
11. Review their Environmental and Social sustainability policy annually.??This policy has been agreed to by the Management and Environmental Committee and will be updated accordingly.?Updated January 19, 2004??Ir. Made Mandra, M.Sc?President Director?Bali Tourism Development Corporation??I Dewa Gede Darmada?Chairman-Environmental Committee?Bali Tourism Development Corporation